Candle magic is considered one of the simplest forms of casting spells. It doesn’t require many ceremonial tools or fancy rituals. This means that almost anyone who has a candle can cast a spell. Just think back to when you blew out your birthday cake candle and made a wish. This same concept is applicable to candle magic, but instead of hoping that your wish will come true, you are declaring your intent.
With the birthday candle ritual in mind, there are three magical principles:
- Determine your goal
- Visualize the end result you want
- Focus your will or intent to manifest the desired results
Selecting Your Candle
Most magical systems practitioners will help you know the size of your candle isn’t important. In fact, sometimes, large candles may prove counterproductive. For example, candles that takes three days to burn can be distracting if you are working a spell that is dependent on the candle burning completely down.
Usually, a shorter taper candle or even a votive will work best. There are some situations where your spell may call for a certain candle type, such as a seven-day candle or even a figure candle to stand for a certain person, which is a form of sympathetic magic. A popular candle used for this purpose is actually a small menorah candle that can be found in the kosher section of most grocery stores. These are approximately four inches long, unscented, thin, and white. Due to this, they are ideal for making a spell work.
Make sure to use a new candle for spell work, rather than candles that have been used before. According to some traditions, candles will pick up vibrations from items nearby after it starts burning. If the candle is already affected by vibrations, some believe this will result in a negative outcome for the spell.
Candle Color Considerations
With candle colors, it’s a good idea to have several options on hand for various magical purposes. Usually, color correspondences for magic are the following:
- Silver: Lunar connections, intuition, and reflection
- Gold: Solar connections, business endeavors, and financial gain
- White: Truth and purity
- Yellow: Protection and persuasion
- Black: Banishment and negativity
- Green: Fertility, abundance, and financial gain
- Brown: Animal related workings and earth-related purposes
- Light blue: Understanding, patience, and health
- Purple: Power and ambition
- Dark blue: Vulnerability and depression
- Orange: Encouragement and attraction
- Pink: Sweet love and friendship
- Red: Lust, sexual love, health, and courage
It’s important to note that according to some Pagan traditions, you can use a white candle in place of any other required color.
Finding the Right Candle
As you can see, there are more than a few considerations to make when it comes to using candles in your magic spells and manifestation efforts. Be sure to keep the tips here in mind and purchase the candles you plan to use from a reputable source to ensure you achieve the desired result.